Installing redSHOP and its various modules, plug-ins and templates is simple and follows the same installation principles as any other Joomla! extension. As indicated in Joomla's "Installing an Extension" guide, the procedure for both Joomla 2.5 and 3.x is as follows:
Download & Install redSHOP
- Download redSHOP or its various extensions to your local machine as zip file packages. (You'll find these available in the “Subscription Downloads" area)
- From the back-end of your Joomla site (administration) select Extensions -> Extension Manager
- From the Upload File tab, Click the Choose File button and select the extension package on your local machine.
- Click the Upload & Install button.
If all goes well, you will get a summary of the extension that has been installed, and in the case of redSHOP, you will be presented additionally with three buttons: "Configuration Wizard", "Install Demo Content", and "Cancel". These are discussed further down this page.
If there was a problem installing, or an error has occurred, a summary will be provided with an indication of the issue. Tackling such installation issues is discussed further in the next section.
Troubleshooting and Considerations
This section deals with providing solutions to issues that can arise when installing or using redSHOP or any of its related extensions. As there are many hosting solutions available with multiple various combinations of PHP / MySQL / Apache or IIS, it's important to ensure that the minimum required versions for each have been installed before troubleshooting further.
- PHP Settings
- File / folder permissions
- Host Settings (+plug for redHOST)
Once you have successfully installed redSHOP, a summary will appear along with three "button" links. Descriptions for these button links are as follows:
Clicking this button will redirect the user to redSHOP's Configuration Wizard. This is a five-section guide that offers the user the ability to configure basic details required to initially set up redSHOP. These include general settings (such as shop name, address and countries that good can be shipped to), setting terms and conditions, configuring user account settings, and price-related settings (such as currency used, tax calculations and any discounts).
This feature is aimed at :
- Beginners and newcomers who are setting up their redSHOP for the first time (as this wizard hides many of the additional details that are not necessary),
- Those who are re-installing redSHOP and choose to modify their basic configuration settings
- Those who prefer to configure redSHOP and are not comfortable with the "Global Configuration" screen
More information is available in the " Configuration Wizard" section.
Install demo content
Clicking this button will install some sample manufacturers, categories and products into redSHOP's database before redirecting the user into redSHOP's Main Menu. This is to give beginners and newcomers to redSHOP an opportunity to see how redSHOP's catalog is organized and how these three areas are related, as well as providing examples that can be worked with on the front and back-end.
The sample data consists of redCOMPONENT-related items, namely 2 manufacturers, 3 categories and 12 products, each with images and descriptions.
Clicking on this link will take you straight to redSHOP's Main Menu screen. This link is recommended for those who have worked with redSHOP before and do not need to install demo content or work through the "Configuration Wizard".